My book is dedicated to the loving memory of my extraordinarily feisty grandmother Lilias Duffin, who relished creativity, was passionate about human rights, and was endlessly fascinated by people.
I am deeply indebted to the many people who made my Harshbeautiful book possible, including:
- Mike Mayos for kick-starting this whole adventure so generously and enthusiastically.
- Sarah Schuster and Bill Jacobson for their impeccable advice, and for challenging me to make this opportunity really count.
- Jonathan Stephenson at Rocket Books for his magnificent production expertise.
- Robin Forster for his beautifully clear design and layout – and for fifteen extraordinary years of artistic collaboration at the start of our careers.
- John Mercer and Simon Watney for their deeply thoughtful essays that bring new perspectives to my work. I would like to thank John for pitch-perfect clarity and wise editorial steer, and Simon for his passionate social writing which has sustained me through the decades.
- Robina Pelham Burn, whose brilliant, fluent editing enabled the writing to sing, and Rebecca Strong for her meticulous proofreading of the final draft.
- Martin Williams, CEO of Gaucho and M Restaurant brands, for introducing my work to a wider audience.
- Everyone who has sat for me through the years, especially those who appear in this volume, for their patience and trust, and for having the courage to be vulnerable in front of the camera.
- The many friends whose love lifts me, especially Anne McKay, Rob Brown, Hedda Archbold, Tanja Farman, Rick Stableford and Alison Kriel.
- The inspiring creative pioneers who went before, for their good-humoured patience in mentoring and championing me, especially art ceramicist Angus Suttie, potter and writer Emmanuel Cooper, and film director Derek Jarman.
Finally I would like to thank my backers on Kickstarter for their investment and enthusiasm, and for totally getting what this Harshbeautiful project is all about:
Ad Bakker, Alan R Hiscutt, Alec Scott Rook, Ali Floyd, Andy Dignan, Ant Howells, Anthony Ede Smith, Arjun Krishnapillai, Atalanta Kernick, Cary Stevens & Buddy Green, Christian, Christopher Scott-Harden, Colin Whitlock, Colin-Roy Hunter, Craig Chalmers-Lang, Dan Vo, Daniel Cohen, Daniel Garcia, Daniel Kramer, Dave Jeal, David Browning, David Delve, David McLaughlin, David Reid, David Zinn, Diego Pinto, Dortchdesigns, Duncan Munro
Edward Marchand, Errol Johnson, Errol Sari, Frank Wenzel, Gabrielle Moser, Gareth Hazzelby, Gavin Marshall, Gerard Raymond, Gregory Campora, Heather Playle, Howard Smiedt, Ian Everall, Iggy Miranda, Jack, Jack Cline, James Lawler & Martin Green, Jane & Robert, Jay Morthland, Jay Schuster, Jefferson Holland, Jeffrey Sauer,Jeffrey Weeks, Joel H Hutto, John Culshaw, John Lee Bird, John W Edwards, Jonathan Blake, Jonathan Dove, Jose Pacheco.
Kenneth Sutton, Layla Rosa, Lisa Garrity, Louis Canizarez, Mally Zach Clapson, Mark Doherty, Mark S. McCray, Martin C, Martin Wallace, Dr Matthew Eve, Phil Bailey, Pierre-Yves Monnerville, Pieter Wessels, Raphael B., Ray Wilson OAM, Sydney, Raymond Yiu, Richard Hudson, Richard Stableford, Robert Flynt, Robert Leach, Robert Morgan, Roger Mortimer, Ross E Tallent, Roy Kilpatrick, Sam Morrison, Sam Stork, Scott Hendry, Scott Oshana, Seann Alderking, Siân, Simon Greenacre, Sonny van Eden, Steve Gill, Steven Godbee, Stuart King, Stuart Lorimer, Tim Highsted, and Tribal Man.